Dr Christine Winter
Areas of expertise
- Pacific History (Excl. New Zealand And Maori) 210313
- Australian History (Excl. Aboriginal And Torres Strait Islander History) 210303
- Gender Specific Studies 169901
- European History (Excl. British, Classical Greek And Roman) 210307
- Biography 210304
- 19th and 20th Century European and Pacific History
- Transnational History
- German Diaspora Studies
- Colonialism and its legacies
- Scientific theories and politics of ‘race’.
Since 2013 Christine Winter is ARC Future Fellow, REGS (Race and Ethnicity in the Global South), University of Sydney. Christine is a transnational historian, analyzing Pacific-European relations during the late 19th, and 20th century. Christine’s current research analyses scientific theories, identity and politics of mixed-race German Diasporas in the Global South.
The present project continues her interest in politics and identity transformation at the intersection of race and scientific knowledge production.
Christine Winter completed her PhD at the Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies, Australian National University in 2005. In 2010 Christine was awarded a Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at the University of Queensland, researching Legacies of the German Empire in Oceania: the transformation of German identity during the inter-war years.
- German Mixed-Race Diasporas in the Global South: Science, politics and identity transformation.
- ‘Aryan-related’: Polynesian—German relations and the struggle ofJapanese—Germans for racial exemption.
- From War trophies to Curios: ethnographic objects from Ex-German New Guinea. With Barry Craig, Museum of South Australia and Ron Vanderwal.
- Dilemmas of Humanitarianism in the Asia Pacific region, 1941-1965 - with Professor Tessa Morris Suzuki and Dr Keiko Tamura.
For updates see:
For a short CV see:
for a full publication list see:
for German online recordings see:
Christine Winter & Gabriele Richter: Über Professor Hank Nelson: Erinnerungen; Remembering Hank Nelson - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8VOlDoLQCQ
Reinhard Wendt & Christine Winter: Video „Deutschsein in der Südsee“