Areas of expertise
- Musicology And Ethnomusicology 190409
- Social And Cultural Anthropology 160104
- Asian Cultural Studies 200202
- Consumption And Everyday Life 200203
South Korea's cultural policy and entertainment industries, including music, folklore, popular entertainment, fashion, designer toys, and marketing.
Since finishing his PhD on the preservation of folksongs in South Korea (SOAS, UK), Maliangkay has expanded the scope of his research to include popular culture. Fascinated by the mechanics of cultural policy and the challenges of studying the dynamics of major cultural phenomena, he analyses Korea's cultural industries and consumption from the early twentieth century to the present.
Head, Dept. of Korean Studies (ANU, 2013-14); Program Director, Master's in Contemporary Asian Studies (University of Amsterdam, 2005); Branch Head, International Institute of Asian Studies (University of Leiden, 2005); Program Coordinator, SEPHIS, International Institute of Social History (Amsterdam, 2004-05); Korean and Indonesian food critic for London's Time Out (1995-00).
- Catherine Hallett — Music in Kamigata Rakugo
- Koon Fung (Benny) Tong — Ethnographic Study of Production Practices in the Japanese Popular Music Genre 'Enka'
- Fredeliza Piper — Organological Study of Traditional Philippine Musical Instruments