Associate Professor Liana Leach

Research Fellow
ANU College of Health and Medicine

Areas of expertise

  • Mental Health 111714
  • Epidemiology 111706
  • Family And Household Studies 160301

Research interests

Dr Leach is a research fellow in the Society, Culture and Health research stream at The National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health (NCEPH). Her research interests include examining the impact of family and work circumstances on mental health. Her work involves the translation of mental health research for public policy and practice.


Dr Leach completed an undergraduate Honours degree in Applied Psychology at The University of Canberra in 2003. Since this time, she has undertaken research projects with the Australian Demographic Social Research Institute (ADSRI) and the Centre for Mental Health Research (CMHR) at The Australian National University.  Dr Leach completed her PhD at the CMHR titled 'Gender differences in depression and anxiety across the adult lifespan' in 2009. She has published her work in several high quality academic journals as well as national and international conferences.

Researcher's projects

Dr Leach uses a number of longitudinal, population-based surveys in her work to examine associations between changes in social factors (e.g. work and family life transitions) and changes in mental health. For example, Dr Leach's research has examined how changes in job characteristics impact on mental health, and how becoming a parent impacts on mental health.

Her work has utilised:

- Personality and Total Health Through Life survey (PATH)

- Household Income Labour and Dynamics in Australia survey (HILDA)

- National Survey of Mental Health and Wellbeing in Australian (NSMHWB)

- Growing up in Australia: Longitudinal Survey of Australian Children (LSAC)


Available student projects

Masters and PhD students interested in studying the development of common mental disorders using survey data are encouraged to contact Dr Leach to discuss potential projects.


Projects and Grants

Grants information is drawn from ARIES. To add or update Projects or Grants information please contact your College Research Office.

Return to top

Updated:  22 June 2024 / Responsible Officer:  Director (Research Services Division) / Page Contact:  Researchers