Dr Jane Ferguson
BA (Antioch), MA (Cornell), PhD (Cornell)
Lecturer, School of Culture, History & Language
ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
Areas of expertise
- Social And Cultural Anthropology 160104
- Asian Cultural Studies 200202
- Anthropology 1601
- Air Transportation And Freight Services 150701
- Historical Studies 2103
- Mainland Southeast Asia Burma/Thai/Shan
- Ethnic politics
- Popular Culture
- Digital media
- Musical genres
- Passenger Aviation
- Ferguson, J 2016, 'Yesterday Once More: Tracking (un)Popular Music in Contemporary Myanmar', Journal of Burma Studies, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 229-257.
- Ferguson, J 2016, 'I Was Cool When My Country Wasn't: "Mao" and "Deng" Making Transnational Music in the Golden Triangle', Asian Music, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 114-137.
- Ferguson, J 2016, 'Ethno-nationalism and Participation in Myanmar: Views from Shan State and Beyond', in Renaud Egreteau and Francois Robinne (ed.), Metamorphosis: Studies in Social and Political Change in Myanmar, NUS Press - National University of Singapore, Singapore, pp. 127-150.
- Ferguson, J 2015, 'Who's Counting? Ethnicity, Belonging, and the National Census in Burma/Myanmar', Bijdragen tot de Taal-, Land- en Volkenkunde (Journal of the Humanities and Social Sciences of Southeast Asia and Oceania), vol. 171, no. 1, pp. 1-28.
- Ferguson, J 2014, 'Terminally Haunted: Aviation Ghosts, Hybrid Buddhist Practices, and Disaster Aversion Strategies Amongst Airport Workers in Myanmar and Thailand', Asia Pacific Journal of Anthropology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 47-64.
- Ferguson, J 2014, 'Rock Your Religion: Shan Buddhist Ritual and Stage-Show Revelry in a Contested Zone at the Thai-Burma Border', in John A Marston (ed.), Ethnicity, Borders, and the Grassroots Interface with the State: Studies on Mainland Southeast Asia in Honor of Charles F. Keyes, Silkworm Books, Chiangmai, Thailand, pp. 45-64.
- Ferguson, J 2014, 'The scramble for the Waste Lands: Tracking colonial legacies, counterinsurgency and international investment through the lens of land laws in Burma/Myanmar', Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography, vol. 35, no. 2014, pp. 295-311.
- Ferguson, J 2014, 'Sexual systems of Highland Burma/Thailand: Sex and gender perceptions of and from Shan male sex workers in northern Thailand', South East Asia Research, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 23-38.
- Ferguson, J 2013, 'Is the Pen Mightier than the AK-47? Tracking Shan Women's Militancy Within and Beyond', Intersections: Gender and Sexuality in Asia and the Pacific, vol. 33.
- Ferguson, J 2013, 'Burmese Super Trouper: How Burmese Poets and Musicians Turn Global Popular Music into Copy Thachin', Asia Pacific Journal of Anthropology, The, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 221-239.
- Ferguson, J 2012, 'Sublime rock: Burmese popular music, language code switching and sentimentalism among Shan migrants at the Thai-Burma border', Wacana Seni, vol. 11, pp. 19-37.
- Ferguson, J 2012, 'From Contested Histories to Ethnic Tourism: Cinematic Representations of Shans and Shanland on the Burmese Silver Screen', in David Lim and Hiroyuki Yamamoto (ed.), Film in Contemporary Southeast Asia: Cultural Interpretation and Social Intervention, Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, London, New York, pp. 23-40.
- Ferguson, J 2011, 'Le Grand Ecran en Terre Doree: Histoire du Cinema Birman [The Silver Screen in the Golden Land: A History of Burmese Cinema]', in GaÃ«tan Margirier and Jean Pierre Gimenez (ed.), Le Cinema d' Asie du Sud-Est [Southeast Asian Cinema], Asiexpo Edition, France, pp. 15-37.
- Ferguson, J 2010, 'Another country is the past: Western cowboys, Lanna Nostalgia, and bluegrass aesthetics as performed by professional musicians in Northern Thailand', American Ethnologist, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 227-240.
- Ferguson, J 2009, 'Buddhist Orthodoxy or Ritual Excess in a Shan Novice Ordination', Contemporary Buddhism, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 65-73.
- Ferguson, J 2009, 'Book Review: Exploring ethnic diversity in Burma', Journal of Southeast Asian Studies, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 648-649.
- Ferguson, J 2008, 'Bronislaw's Laptop Dance: How Cyborg Pirates Plundered the Gated Community in the Ether', Anthropology News, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 13-14.
- Ferguson, J 2008, 'Revolutionary Scripts: Shan Insurgent Media Practice at the Thai-Burma Border', in Krishna Sen and Terence Lee (ed.), Political Regimes and the Media in Asia, Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, London and New York, pp. 106-121.
- Ferguson, J 2007, 'Watching the military's War Movies: (De)Constructing the Enemy of the State in a Contemporary Burmese Soldier Drama', Asian Cinema, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 79-95.
- Ferguson, J 2007, 'Just Dropping By...', Anthropology News, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 27-28.
- Linn, P, Ferguson, J & Egart, K 2004, 'Career exploration via cooperative education and lifespan occupational choice', Journal of Vocational Behaviour, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 430-447.