Associate Professor Matthew Cook
MB BS PhD FRACP FRCPA
ANU College of Medicine, Biology and Environment
Areas of expertise
- Immunogenetics (Incl. Genetic Immunology) 110706
- Humoural Immunology And Immunochemistry 110705
- Rheumatology And Arthritis 110322
- Infectious Diseases 110309
- Cellular Immunology 110704
- Autoimmunity 110703
- Immunology 1107
- Altin, J, Daley, S, Howitt, J et al 2014, 'Ndfip1 mediates peripheral tolerance to self and exogenous antigen by inducing cell cycle exit in responding CD4+ T cells', National Academy of Sciences. Proceedings, vol. 111, no. 6, pp. 2067-2074.
- Pratama, A, Ramiscal, R, Silva-Galindo, D et al 2013, 'Roquin-2 Shares Functions with Its Paralog Roquin-1 in the Repression of mRNAs Controlling T Follicular Helper Cells and Systemic Inflammation', Immunity, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 669-680.
- Ives, M, Ma, C, Palendira, U et al 2013, 'Signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3) mutations underlying autosomal dominant hyper-IgE syndrome impair human CD8+ T-cell memory formation and function', Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 400-411.
- Berglund, L, Avery, D, Ma, C et al 2013, 'L-21 signalling via STAT3 primes human naÃ¯ve B cells to respond to IL-2 to enhance their differentiation into plasmablasts', Blood, vol. 122, no. 24, pp. 3940-3950.
- He, J, Tsai, L, Leong, Y et al 2013, 'Circulating precursor CCR7loPD-1hi CXCR5+ CD4+ T cells indicate tfh cell activity and promote antibody responses upon antigen reexposure', Immunity, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 770-781.
- Deenick, E, Avery, D, Chan, A et al 2013, 'Naive and memory human B cells have distinct requirements for STAT3 activation to differentiate into antibody-secreting plasma cells', Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 210, no. 12, pp. 2739-2753.
- Ma, C, Avery, D, Chan, A et al 2012, 'Functional STAT3 deficiency compromises the generation of human T follicular helper cells', Blood, vol. 119, no. 17, pp. 3997-4008.
- Hayter, S & Cook, M 2012, 'Updated assessment of the prevalence, spectrum and case definition of autoimmune disease', Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 754-765.
- Baird, M, Woon Ang, P, Clark, I et al 2012, 'The unfolded protein response is activated in Helicobacter-induced gastric carcinogenesis in a non-cell autonomous manner', Laboratory Investigation, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 112-122.
- Altin, J, Goodnow, C & Cook, M 2012, 'IL-10+CTLA-4+ Th2 inhibitory cells form in a Foxp3-independent, IL-2-dependent manner from Th2 effectors during chronic inflammation', Journal of Immunology, vol. 188, no. 11, pp. 5478-5488.
- Chew, G, Srivastava, U, Gatenby, P et al 2012, 'Autoimmunity in primary antibody deficiency is associated with protein tyrosine phosphatase nonreceptor type 22 (PTPN22)', Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. In Press Epub.
- Ellyard, J, Chia, T, Rodriguez-Pinilla, S et al 2012, 'Heterozygosity for Roquin san leads to angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma-like tumors in mice', Blood, vol. 120, no. 4, pp. 812-821.
- Altin, J, Tian, L, Liston, A et al 2011, 'Decreased T-cell receptor signaling through CARD11 differentially compromises forkhead box protein 3-positive regulatory versus TH2 effector cells to cause allergy', Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 127, no. 5, pp. 1277-1285.
- Tian, L, Altin, J, Makaroff, L et al 2011, 'Foxp3+ regulatory T cells exert asymmetric control over murine helper responses by inducing Th2 cell apoptosis', Blood, vol. 118, no. 7, pp. 1845-1853.
- Palendira, U, Low, C, Chan, A et al 2011, 'Molecular pathogenesis of EBV susceptibility in XLP as revealed by analysis of female carriers with heterozygous expression of SAP', PLoS Biology, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 1-17.
- Vinuesa, C.G. & Cook, M 2011, 'Blood Relatives of Follicular Helper T Cells', Immunity, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 10-12.
- Avery, D, Deenick, E, Ma, C et al 2010, 'B cell-intrinsic signaling through IL-21 receptor and STAT3 is required for establishing long-lived antibody responses in humans', Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 207, no. 1, pp. 155-171.
- Alshekaili, J, Reynolds, G & Cook, M 2010, 'De novo infantile primary antiphospholipid antibody syndrome', LUPUS, vol. 19, no. 13, pp. 1565-1568.
- Batten, M, Ramamoorthi, N, Kljavin, N et al 2010, 'IL-27 supports germinal center function by enhancing IL-21 production and the function of T follicular helper cells', Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 207, no. 13, pp. 2895-2906.
- Eri, R, Adams, R, Tran, T et al 2010, 'An intestinal epithelial defect conferring ER stress results in inflammation involving both innate and adaptive immunity', Mucosal Immunology, vol. Online 24 Nov 2010, pp. [11 pages].
- Alshekaili, J, Li, C & Cook, M 2010, 'Heterophile interference accounts for method-specific dsDNA antibodies in patients receiving anti-TNF treatment', Rheumatology, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 891-897.
- Simpson, N, Gatenby, P, Wilson, A, Malik, S, Fulcher, DA, Tangye, SG, Manku, H,Vyse, TJ, Roncador, G, Huttley, G, Goodnow, CC, Vinuesa, CG, Cook, MC, 2010, 'Expansion of Circulating T Cells Resembling Follicular Helper T Cells Is a Fixed Phenotype That Identifies a Subset of Severe Systemic Lupus Erythematosus', Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 234-244.
- Cook, M & Tangye, S 2009, 'Primary immune deficiencies affecting lymphocyte differentiation: lessons from the spectrum of resulting infections', International Immunology, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1003-1011.
- Tangye, S, Cook, M & Fulcher, D 2009, 'Insights into the role of STAT3 in human lymphocyte differentiation as revealed by the hyper-IgE syndrome', Journal of Immunology, vol. 182, no. 1, pp. 21-28.
- Linterman, M, Rigby, R, Wong, R, Yu, D, Brink, R, Cannons, JL, Schwartzberg, PL, Cook, MC, Walters, GD, Vinuesa, CG, 2009, 'Follicular helper T cells are required for systemic autoimmunity', Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 206, no. 3, pp. 561-576.
- Vinuesa, C.G., Sanz, I & Cook, M 2009, 'Dysregulation of germinal centres in autoimmune disease', Nature Reviews, Immunology, vol. 9, pp. 845-857.
- Ma, C, Chew, G, Simpson, N et al 2008, 'Deficiency of Th17 cells in hyper IgE syndrome due to mutations in STAT3', Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 205, no. 7, pp. 1551-1557.
- Heazlewood, C, Cook, M, Rajaraman, E et al 2008, 'Aberrant Mucin Assembly in Mice Causes Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress and Spontaneous Inflammation Resembling Ulcerative Colitis', PLoS Medicine, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 0440-0460.
- Ormerod, A & Cook, M 2008, 'Epidemiology of primary systemic vasculitis in the Australian Capital Territory and south-eastern New South Wales', Internal Medicine Journal, vol. 38, pp. 816-823.
- Cook, M 2008, 'B cell back catalogue', Immunology and Cell Biology, vol. 86, pp. 109-110.
- Avery, D, Ma, C, Bryant, V et al 2008, 'STAT3 is required for IL-21-induced secretion of IgE from human naive B cells', Blood, vol. 112, no. 5, pp. 1784-93.
- Yu, D, Cook, M, Shin, D, Silva, DG, Marshall, J, Toellner, KM, Havran, WL, Caroni, P, Cooke, MP, Morse, HC, MacLennan, ICM, Goodnow, CC, Vinuesa, CG, 2008, 'Axon growth and guidance genes identify T-dependent germinal centre B cells', Immunology and Cell Biology, vol. 86, pp. 3-14.
- Vinuesa, C.G., & Cook, M 2007, 'Genetic analysis of systemic autoimmunity', in George Bock and Jamie Goode (ed.), Decoding the genomic control of immune reactions: Novartis Foundation Symposium, No 281, John Wiley & Sons Inc, Chichester, U.K., pp. 103-120.
- Vinuesa, C.G., & Cook, M 2007, 'The Molecular Basis of Lymphoid Architecture in the Mouse', in James Fox,S Barthold,M Davisson.C Newcomer,F Quimby,A Smith (ed.), The Mouse in Biomedical Research (2nd ed), Academic Press, USA, pp. 57-108.
- Hawkins, C, Collignon, P, Adams, D et al 2006, 'Profound lymphopenia and bacteraemia', Internal Medicine Journal, vol. 36, pp. 385-388.
- Cook, M, Vinuesa, C.G., & Goodnow, C 2006, 'ENU-mutagenesis: insight into immune function and pathology', Current Opinion in Immunology, vol. 18, pp. 627-633.
- Vinuesa, C.G., Cook, M, Angelucci, C et al 2005, 'A RING-type ubiquitin ligase family member required to repress follicular helper T cells and autoimmunity', Nature, vol. 435, pp. 452-458.
- Cook, M 2004, 'B Cell biology, apoptosis, and autoantibodies to phospholipids', Thrombosis Research, vol. 114, pp. 307-319.
- MacLennan, ICM, Toellner, KM, Cunningham, AF, Serre, K, Sze, DMY, Zuniga, E, Cook, MC, Vinuesa, CG, 2003, 'Extrafollicular antibody responses', Immunological Reviews, vol. 194, pp. 8-18.
- Vinuesa, C.G., Sze, D, Cook, M et al 2003, 'Recirculating and germinal center B cells differentiate into cells responsive to polysaccharide-antigens', European Journal of Immunology, vol. 33, pp. 297-305.
Grants are drawn from ARIES. To add Projects or Grants please contact your College Research Office.
- Genomic medicine for human immune deficiency (Primary Investigator)
- Molecular and Cellular basis of inflammatory and immunodeficiency diseases (Secondary Investigator)