Professor Hyaeweol Choi
Areas of expertise
- Culture, Gender, Sexuality 200205
- Asian History 210302
- Postcolonial Studies 200211
- Religion And Religious Studies 2204
- Asian Cultural Studies 200202
My research interests are in the areas of gender, culture, religion and diaspora. I have published books and articles on such topics as the genealogy of modern womanhood in the encounters between Koreans and American Protestant missionaries in the early twentieth century (Gender and Mission Encounters in Korea: New Women, Old Ways, University of California Press, 2009), the historical development of the New Woman in early twentieth century colonial Korea (New Women in Colonial Korea: A Sourcebook, Routledge, 2013), and the role and contribution of Asian-born scholars in the US (An International Scientific Community: Asian Scholars in the United States, Praeger, 1995).
I have recently co-edited with Margaret Jolly a collection of papers focusing on the emergence of the concept of "domesticity" within the context of encounters between Christian missionaries and women in Asia and the Pacific (Divine Domesticities: Christian Paradoxes in Asia and the Pacific, ANU Press, 2014).
I am currently working with Barbara Molony and Janet Theiss on a co-authored textbook for undergraduate students entitled Gender in Modern East Asia (Westview, forthcoming).
With funding from the Australian Research Council, I am pursuing a new research project, reexamining the modern history of women in Korea from a transnational perspective by focusing on the dynamic flow of the ideas, discourses and people across national boundaries that have triggered new gender images and bodily practices.
I am the ANU-Korea Foundation Professor of Korean Studies and Director of the Korea Institute at the Australian National University. Before I joined the faculty at ANU in 2010, I taught at Arizona State University, Smith College and the University of Kansas in the US. Some of the pivotal events in my intellectual journey are described in an interview that was conducted for the ANU Gender Institute. The article can be found at:
- Vice President, Korean Studies Association of Australasia (2011-2013)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Korean Religions (2011 – present)
- Editorial Board, Women in Asia Series, Routledge (2010 – present)
- Editorial Board, Intersections: Gender and Sexuality in Asia and the Pacific (2010 – present)
- Korea Book Review Editor, Journal of Asian Studies (2009 – 2010)
- President, Western Conference of the Association for Asian Studies (2008-2009)
- Associate Editor, Frontiers: A Journal of Women Studies (2008 – 2009)
- Elected Member, Northeast Asia Council (NEAC), Association for Asian Studies (2008 – 2011)
- Editorial Board, Korea Journal (2007 – present)
- Editorial Board, Chonggyo munhwa yon'gu (Research on Religious Culture) (2008 – 2013)
- Elected Member, Executive Committee on Korean Studies, Association for Asian Studies (March 2004-March 2007)
- Elected Member, Council of Conferences, Association for Asian Studies (March 2004-March 2007)
Grants are drawn from ARIES. To add Projects or Grants please contact your College Research Office.
- Beyond Domestic Borders: Transnational Mobility in the Making of Modern Korea, 1920-1945 (Primary Investigator)