Professor Geremie Barme
Areas of expertise
- Asian History 210302
- Arts And Cultural Policy 160502
- Film And Television 190204
- Performance And Installation Art 190504
- Urban Sociology And Community Studies 160810
- Art Theory 190103
- Architectural Design 120101
- Studies Of Asian Society 169903
- Multicultural, Intercultural And Cross Cultural Studies 200209
- Historical Studies 2103
Historiography in 21st-century China; 20th century Chinese intellectual and cultural history; contemporary Chinese cultural and intellectual debates; Ming-Qing literature and aesthetics; Cultural Revolution history (1950s-70s) and Beijing, its history and reconstruction.
After graduating in Asian Studies from the ANU (majoring in Chinese and Sanskrit), I studied at universities in the People's Republic of China (1974-77) and Japan (1980-83), with periods working as a journalist, freelance writer and translator in Hong Kong and China. My research work in Chinese culture and intellectual history has been interspersed with film, web site and writing projects in the United States, China and Hong Kong.
Premiere of The Gate of Heavenly Peace at the New York Film Festival in 1995; premiere of Morning Sun at the Berlin International Film Festival in 2003; being awarded the Joseph Levenson Prize for Modern China, 2004; work with the New York photographer Lois Conner on the Garden of Perfect Brightness (Yuanming Yuan) in Beijing; editing China Heritage Quarterly (www.chinaheritagequarterly.org); work on the sacred geography of China with the oral historian Sang Ye; research funded by an ARC Federation Fellowship (2006-10) on Beijing and China in the Olympic era; and contributing to the establishment at ANU of the Australian Centre on China in the World in 2010.
Grants are drawn from ARIES. To add Projects or Grants please contact your College Research Office.
- Manchu Rivers and Mountains: rediscovering the Bannerman cultural world of nineteenth-century China and its modern heritage (Primary Investigator)
- Beijing: China's Heritage and the City as Spectacle (Primary Investigator)
- A Historical and Cultural Analysis of Qigong in Contemporary China (Primary Investigator)
- ARC Research Network: Asia-Pacific Futures Network (Secondary Investigator)
- The Social History of Punishment in Modern China (Primary Investigator)