Dr I Wayan Arka
Areas of expertise
- Computational Linguistics 200402
- Language In Culture And Society (Sociolinguistics) 200405
- Indonesian Languages 200313
- Language In Time And Space (Incl. Historical Linguistics, Dialectology) 200406
- Linguistic Structures (Incl. Grammar, Phonology, Lexicon, Semantics) 200408
- Lexicography 200407
- Linguistics 2004
Austronesian and Papuan languages of Eastern Indonesia, language typology, syntactic theory, language documentation.
My current project on the typological study of core arguments and marking in Austronesian languages is an extension of my previous collaborative project with Indonesian linguists on the languages of Eastern Indonesia. I am still working on my Rongga materials collected for The Rongga Documentation Project, funded by the Hans Rausing ELDP grant (2004-6). I am also currently doing collaborative research on voice in the Austronesian languages of eastern Indonesia (funded by an NSF grant, 2006-2009), Indonesian Parallel Grammar Project (funded by a near-miss grant from Sydney University (2007) and an ARC Discovery grant (2008-2011), and the languages of Southern New Guinea (funded by an ARC grant 2011-2015).
Lecturer, Udayana University, Bali, Indonesia (1986-2001); Fellow, RSPAS (2001-present).
- The Languages of Southern New Guinea, an unexplored Linguistic Hotspot (Secondary Investigator)
- Understanding Indonesian: developing a machine-usable grammar, dictionary and corpus (Secondary Investigator)